The Jazz Repertory Company Blog

The Jazz Repertory Company Blog
The Jazz Repertory Company Blog

Thursday 9 October 2014

Going All Tarantino On Cadogan Hall

Jeep's Blues.  Choosing the right tracks for your movie.

Quentin Tarantino doesn't use film composers on his movies - he takes great records and matches them to the action with an impressively adroit touch.  It made me think that I'd love the job of combining my favourites with the upcoming movies of the modern masters (but not dealing with the endless legal wrangles to get permission to use them!).  Here is my short list of some of the finest matchings  of sound and visuals.




2001. A Space Odyssey



Woodstock


The Tree Of Life

And from TV:


Breaking Bad


Now what brought this on was thinking about Jeep's Blues - The Duke Ellington number which opens our Newport Jazz Festival tribute concert on November 18th at Cadogan Hall.  This was used in the terrific movie 'American Hustle'; and what an inspired choice.


Jeep's Blues, Duke Ellington, American Hustle

See it here (I also love the use of Chicago's 'Does Anybody Know What Time It Is') - so I'll stick those two on my list.  I'd be interested to hear of any other particularly brilliant choices that you love - I hope to discover some more memorable moments.




Jackie Brown




No comments:

Post a Comment