The Jazz Repertory Company Blog

The Jazz Repertory Company Blog
The Jazz Repertory Company Blog

Tuesday 22 December 2015

Hundreds Of Reasons To See Us Next Year

In our last blog I doffed my chapeau to a number of jazz greats who would have been 100 years old in 2016.  In part two of our New Years blog as we stand on the cusp of 2016 we look at a few more - one of which is paid tribute to in our next Cadogan Hall show  and a couple more who I include just because I was delighted to meet them years ago. 

Harry James.  Harry was Benny Goodman’s trumpet star at the time of the famous 1938 Carnegie Hall concert (which is back at Cadogan Hall on Saturday March 12th when Nathan Bray will be taking the role of Harry).


Harry James

Harry started his career working full time as a kid in a circus band and when he joined Benny he was a sensational virtuoso and only 19 - you can see him here standing next to Krupa at the drums  ( a comparatively old man – 27 years old!!).

Benny Goodman Orchestra "Sing, Sing, Sing" 
Gene Krupa - Drums & Harry James from "Hollywood Hotel" film (1937)

Harry looks pencil thin – even making 2015’s centenary boy Sinatra look tubby in comparison – and why can’t I buy trousers like his in Marks and Sparks?

Two other centenarians who have nothing to do with any JazzRepertory Company concerts but are included here as I was rather pleased to meet them.

In 1969 my brother bought this terrific album by Moondog  (born in 1916).  The front cover had him looking like a cross between a Viking elder and something out of Tolkein.  He looks as if he was a centenarian but was only 52 years old at the time the pic was taken.    He'd spent most of his musical life as a busker on the streets of New York City so he was quite weather-beaten by the late 60's.  I was glad that CBS had finally invited him indoors to make an album - one which I played over and over and loved it and still do).

Moondog - Moondog (1969)
In 1991 I went to a concert of his in Dartington - it was his 76th birthday so I invited myself  to his party afterwards and sat next to him (looking pretty much the same as on his album cover) as we both ate his birthday cake – I was too over awed (and full of cake) to gushingly tell him how much I listened to his album when I was 13.

Our last centenarian is the wonderful Slim Gaillard who I met in 1987 when he played a gig at London’s Dolphin Square Restaurant.  In his second number he got his drummer to play a drum solo whilst he shook the hand of every man in the room and then kissed and danced with every woman – the drum solo lasted about 40 minutes but it was one of the funniest things I’ve ever seen – Slim’s routine that is, not the drum solo.


If you're interested in some of this music in 2016 be sure to check out our What's On listings at Cadogan Hall. Happy New Year.


The Jazz Repertory Company Concert Showreel

No comments:

Post a Comment