The Jazz Repertory Company Blog

The Jazz Repertory Company Blog
The Jazz Repertory Company Blog

Tuesday 21 April 2015

On Stage With Nina Simone & Matching Her Wiggle For Wiggle

On Saturday 9th May The Jazz Repertory Company present their fifteenth concert at Chelsea’s Cadogan Hall. Up till now their programmes have concentrated on the jazz of the 20’s through to the 50’s but this time around they’ve moved their focus to the jazz, blues and soul of Ray Charles and Nina Simone.  


Nina Simone, High Priestess Of Soul

Jeremy Sassoon will be bringing his 17 piece Ray Charles Project to London for the first time and Liz Fletcher will be presenting a set of songs closely associated with Nina, including the big hits Feelin’ Good and I Love You Porgy alongside less well known gems such as Wild Is The Wind and Work Song.  Here she’s interviewed by Jazz Repertory Company director Richard Pite.


RP: You’ve had a long career as a highly respected jazz singer but this is the first time you’ve ever performed a tribute to another singer – was it  very different to what you were used to doing?

LF:   I suppose I’m paying tribute to many singers when performing from the Great American Song Book.  Their influences are probably subliminally interwoven without me even realising it.  I’ve been reviewed as sounding like Julie London, Peggy Lee, Doris Day and Ella Fitzgerald which is hardly surprising as I’ve listened so much to these ladies.  But doing a whole show, dedicated to one singer feels different.  Nina had a hugely powerful voice and personality – quite a challenge for an English blonde with a lighter timbre.  I feel I have to be respectful to the original content and yet maintain my own identity.  Nina’s musical arrangements are intrinsic to the way the songs are sung and apart from her amazing voice, why they are so recognisable. This is why I decided to stay close to the original source.



Liz Fletcher

RP:  I believe you did a gig once where you were surprised to find you were the support act for Nina.  She was quite a tough cookie wasn’t she?  What was the experience like?

LF:  Yes, it was bonkers!  In 1999, I was on tour with the world music band ‘LoopGuru’ and we were doing a big open air festival in Theselonika, Greece .  At the sound check there was a sudden panic by the crew when a big limousine pulled up by the stage.  A red carpet was quickly unravelled to greet Nina who rather unsteadily made it up the steps and into her own private loo which was in the wings.  We did our set and then Nina came on but she was in a very grumpy mood and shouted at everyone.  I suppose at that time of life, she had a right but it did shatter my illusion and I was way too scared of her to ask for an autograph! Still, to be in such close proximity to and, sharing the stage with, such a great lady was a gift I’m very grateful for. 




Nina Simone - Wild Is The Rose


RP:   I can’t think of anyone who sounds quite like Nina but you capture her style in your own unique way.  How did you approach her songs?  

LF:  Thanks.  I suppose it’s about listening lots and practice.  A bit like when an instrumentalist learns a famous solo note for note, bend for bend, wiggle for wiggle, if you know what I mean?  I could never sound like her all the time but I hope there are a few reminders.



Liz Fletcher

RP:   Tell us a little about the band you’ll be using.  

LF:  What a talented bunch - Christian Vaughan is my musical director and pianist and he’s transcribed Nina’s arrangements and plays them brilliantly.  Julie Walkington is one of London’s top bassists and it’s lovely to have another female on board, she’s a rare breed.  We’re lucky to have Nigel Price on guitar, he’s very busy and prolific with his own projects.  (With Richard Pite on drums).


RP:  Is there a particular favourite amongst the songs you’ll be singing?  

LF:  I adore ‘Wild is the Wind’- a beautiful ballad.  After I fell in love with this song, I learned that David Bowie had seen Nina perform it and promptly learnt it and recorded the song on his album ‘Station to Station’, so I’m in good company!  I also like singing ‘Work Song’ and ‘Love Me or Leave Me’  - they really swing - ‘House of the Rising Sun’ too.  



Nina Simone - Love Me Or Leave Me

RP:  Outside of your Nina show what else is happening with you and music right now?  

LF:  I’m doing lots of gigs with a super band called Jiving Miss Daisy run by the bassist Simon Thorpe.  I’m headlining the Ealing Jazz Festival and playing at the ‘Give’ Festival with my experimental band doing dance music.  And as you know, I’m a jobbing jazzer Richard doing whatever work comes in – as long as  the phone keeps ringing, I keep singing.  Oh yes, and I’ll be working on my next album to be released on my own label ‘Audioloob’ later in the year.




The Genius of Ray Charles and The High Priestess of Soul, Nina Simone  is at 7.30 on Saturday May 9th at Cadogan Hall, Sloane Terrace London SW1 (just one minute’s walk from Sloane Square tube station). Ticket prices start at £16 – www.cadoganhall.com  Box Office:  020 7730 4500.



The Jazz Repertory Company Concert Showreel

No comments:

Post a Comment